Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Drive-thru soap operas

"Yeah, I'll have a Number One, ketchup only, with small fries, and a strawberry shake." I sat in my car, the window down, and leaning out to give my order. I blasted the air conditioning, the music turned down so that it was now just a faint murmur of lyrics and bass. I was on my way home for dinner, when I found myself suddenly craving a burger, so I swung through the drive-thru, and was currently waiting for the cashier to parrot back my order.
I waited for a full minute before I heard a pair of voices crackling through the speaker.
"Lisa," pleaded the voice of the adolescent cashier, "please! Let's talk this out."
"Talk what out?" came the hysterical voice of a young woman. "The fact that I caught you with that trashy Sharon? The fact that we haven't been on a date in three weeks? The fact that you have broken my heart?"
"Lisa, I told you already: there is nothing between me and Sharon! We're lab partners, we were just working on an assignment!"
"Yeah, right! What were you doing? Measuring the volume that closet I found you in?"
"That was an accident! She went to get a sweater, and I tripped and fell in!"
"Yeah, then you just fell on top of her, and your lips just fell on hers! What do you take me for!"
"Lisa, come on!"
"Don't tell me to come on, Brandon! It's over! I'm leaving!"
Lisa's voice disappeared, and there was silence.
I waited a minute before saying, "Just cancel that order," and driving off.

3 comments:

  1. I like it! Bass is spelled wrong for the term you're using it for, though. Although, I may be wrong, hehe


    -Darkstar-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang it! I hate it when you're right! :) Hehe. But thanks. I'll fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete