Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Starlight Academy Part 4 - Stars

The night was bright outside, with millions of stars having been lobbed up into the sky. There were no lights on, allowing the sky to sparkle at its full potential. Juliana understood now why the school was named Starlight Academy; it was not only because of the headmaster's name, but because of the beautiful scenery. She tipped her head back to watch the stars blink at her, and felt her heart lift with awe, and pure happiness. She was brought back down to earth by Prince's voice.
"Gorgeous, isn't it?" he asked, in a voice so soft that she did not jump, but let her head drift back down so she could smile at him.
"Yeah," she agreed. "You don't even need porch lights."
"True. The position of the school makes it a great setting for stargazing." He noticed her look. "I learned that bit of trivia from Gerard. But it's confirmed every year when all of the families journey here to sleep under the stars with their children."
"Do your parents come over?" She ran a hand through her hair, glancing away, at the perfectly trimmed grass.
"Not often," he said nonchalantly. "Their busy with work. My dad is in the Navy, and my mom is a famous pianist." He smiled, obviously proud of his heritage.
"So, why do they call you 'Prince?'"
"My dad is descended from some royal family that was very wealthy, and charitable. People found out, and just tagged me with the nickname. I kinda like it." He smiled. "Sounds regal."
Juliana laughed, and Prince joined her.
"I like your laugh," he said, stepping closer to her, and shortening the few yards that separated them. "It sounds like a child's laugh. Carefree, innocent. It's nice to have that kind of innocence in a world so full of tragedy and evil."
Juliana looked at him, amazed at the sudden somberness of his tone. He was closer; she could have reached out, and touched him.
"I like you, Juliana," he whispered, as she took a few steps toward him. "I hope I can hear you laugh again."
"I like you too, Prince," Juliana breathed, blushing.
They smiled, and his lips lit upon hers, and they shone like two stars, paired together in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment